Re: problems with syntax highlighting in vim

Glenn Becker wrote:

Apologies if this has been posted already.

I am trying to use vim to edit some html files. Never had a problem setting the syntax before, but on my Debian install (testing), I get this when I am inside a simple index.html file and type the ex command:

:syntax on

Error detected while processing /usr/share/vim/vim64/syntax/syntax.vim:
line 42:
E216: No such group or event: filetypedetect BufRead
Hit ENTER or type command to continue

... anyone else ever seen this? I checked out the file it was trying to process and yep, that directive is on line 42 ...

I'm guessing it might be some vim support package I'm missing but if so I don't know why it wasn't downloaded as a dependency ...

I'm pretty sure I hit that a few months back. As I remember it turned out that I needed to allow the packaging system to install the new copy of <whatever file> that the package maintainer had shipped with vim. Apparently I had told it to keep my previously installed version when apt-get asked me what to do. Once I moved the dpkg-dist copy into place everything worked again.

Sorry, I forget exactly which file fixed it. You could remove vim and add it again, perhaps?

Thanks,
Rick Reynolds
--
If you don't know the truth, you will believe anything. -- Eric Simmons