Re: System Locks up after kdevelop install

On Thu, Apr 20, 2006 at 07:55:01 -0700, Ross Drinen wrote:
> I installed debian/gnu linux for the first time a couple of months
> ago for the first time. (I had been a redhat user formerly.  I got
> kde, apache2, ftp server, mail etc working and all was well.  Then I
> decided to install kdevelop and its recommended packages.  After
> that, the system started locking up periodically.  I can operate,
> sometimes for an hour, sometimes for a day, but eventually it just
> locks up, often (but not always) upon opening a new window, or when
> resizing a window.
>
> By "lock up"  I mean the mouse will move, but has no effect on any
> windows, often a window will be outlined, but its contents will not
> be painted.  No keyboard action has any effect, including switching
> to a virtual console.   And ftp, samba etc connections from other
> systems do not respond.  Sometimes it will get a bit sluggish briefly
> before locking up, sometimes it's without warning.

That kind of behavior could have many different causes, it might even be
a hardware problem. You could try to install an ssh server so that you
can log in from another computer when it happens the next time. (ssh
should be more robust that samba or ftp access, and you get full shell
access with all diagnostic tools.) It could well be that X locks up your
system by using nearly 100% CPU. I have had such cases, due to problems
with the driver of my graphics card, and then I could always use ssh to
log in and kill X. It might also help if you post your lspci output and
your X configuration; maybe someone has had similar experiences with
your specific configuration.

You should also check the log files after such a crash (and a hard reset
I assume) to see if you notice anything unusual. If you can't make sense
of the logs you can post the last 10-20 lines here.

> I have deinstalled kdevelop and all that went on with it, to no
> avail.  I've used top to try to see if I can find memory leak
> indicated etc, but see none.  I'm at the point of reinstalling the
> operating system from scratch, then staying away from kdevelop.

My gut feeling is that kdevelop is not really the cause of your problem.
Hopefully one of the things I have suggested above will turn up
something useful to diagnose this better.

--
Regards,
          Florian