Re: distributions: UBUNTU vs DEBIAN

On Thu, Apr 20, 2006 at 08:10:36AM -0400, Attila Horvath wrote:
> Jon
>
> My question was/is genuine. It's not my intention to start a flamewar.
> However, I will search thru the archives for past opinions/suggestions. I
> apprecaite your response.

well hopefully, cooler heads will prevail and folks will give you
honest, straightforward advice. :)

> I am new to LINUX and somewhat dismaid/confused about the various
> distributions. I'd like to set up a LINUX-based server for mail, web,
> personal commerce, etc. Since this is for personal purposes, I decided on
> LINUX based system because [1]it's free and [2]my perceived notion that
> it's more stable than windows environment.

confused I can understand, but dismayed? What you are seeing is the
effects of free software at their best -- many many different ideas of
how a computer system should be put together and you can try any or
all of them to your hearts-content and pick the one YOU like. Heck, if
you don't like what you find, you can even make your own!

That said, IMHO opinion, the main difference between distros is
installation and maintenance procedures. And hardware detection to
some extent. Beyond that, just about any distro would be pretty much
like anyother in that, because all this stuff is free, you can make
any distro look and behave pretty much like anyother. My advice is
play around, try a few but always understand that the trick is to make
whichever distro you choose operate the way you want -- choose the
packages and interfaces you want to use. Just because a particular
distro defaults to say, GNOME, doesn't mean you can't go out and get
KDE or IceWM or someother desktop setup. Or you can scrap the gui
altogether and just use the cli for everything.  Above all, have fun!

I can tell you that Debian is a fine choice for your use and if you
keep at it, you will learn A LOT very quickly and this list is a great
resource.

> Being new to LINUX, a GUI-based system like GNOME adds some convenience
> but ultimately is not necessary. BASH command line-based system is
> sufficient. I [initially] chose UNBUNTU simply because it was handed to me
> to try out. After a couple of weeks of playing around, I discovered a
> wealth of information as well as 'choices'.

Well, just about any distro can be "just handed" to you and many of
them are freely available on the net.

good luck and have fun and hope to see you around here more.