Re: Grub + CD-ROM

Hi Willie,

You were right on the money about the BIOS.  I went online to see if
there's a new version of the BIOS.  There wasn't but I downloaded the
one I have again anyways, and loaded it.  Reboot, and what do you know,
it boot straight off the CD!  So it would seem that my BIOS was somehow
damaged.

On Wed, 2006-04-19 at 18:52 -0700, Willie Wonka wrote:
> > > By chance - is that a Matsushita DVD-RAM drive ? (or similar?)
>
> > Yes it is.  What's the significance?
>
> I aplolgize, I do not have any specific details --  BUT that particular
> DVD drive sure shows up a LOT, even on windoze forums/NGs/usenet as
> having a "plethera" of issues associated with it.

That's interesting.  Except for the booting issue (which turned out not
to be the drive's fault) this drive has been good so far.  It performs
very close to what it's rated at, and has read a few discs successfully
that I cannot read in any other drive.  Guess I got to be glad it's not
the stuff they used to rebrand for desktop CD writers!

> Is that a Dual-boot? (winblows 2K/XP) [+] GNU/Linux?
Yes, the WindowsXP (32bit) came pre-installed, I just shrunk the
partition and put linux on the rest.

> Do you have software like "daemon tools" or "alcohol120" installed ?
Alcohol120 on Windows, yes.  I've only used it once, but that was long
before I started having trouble.

> Are you even aware of the SONY *rootkit* debacle related to DRM, that
> was exposed circa November, 2005 ?
Heard off but I haven't paid attention.  Even though I believe Sony's
audio/video products are some of the best for the money, I won't buy
their stuff precisely because they're pushing hardware copy protection.

Pity I can't source Philips drives locally, from what I've heard and
read they are opposed hardware copy protection.

> This may be mere speculation, but gotta say, overall the "coincidences"
> appear to be compounding (associated) in many things I've read
> lately....
He he, don't tempt me - I'm a big sucker for conspiracy theories!

> >              Cycle time: no flow control=240ns  IORDY flow
> control=120ns

Should I change it?  What does the setting do?

> I *was* looking for some "Microcode load" (such as the "DOWNLOAD
> MICROCODE cmd" above), but I don't think they still do 'that' with the
> BIOS anymore, but *other* HP specific tricks, I'm sure they implement,
> just like every OEM does

Oh they do.  On this particular notebook (HP nx6125 Canadian model), the
wireless is a miniPCI card, Broadcom.  I pulled it out and put in an
Intel 2200, HP branded I might add (i.e. twice as expensive as it should
be).  Guess what?  The notebook didn't even finish POST.  It gave me a
message "Unsupported wireless device detected" and stopped there.  I
would actually love to put the Atheros 108mb dual channel card I have
lying around (from a wireless AP that was dropped), but I'm not even
going to bother.

> ....to be sure the Hardware matches the
> "Software" one tries to install. HP/Compaq/Dell/IBM/Toshiba Recovery
> Disks and Recovery Partitions ring a bell ?
No, enlighten me?  This is only the second time I bought anything from
and OEM.  The first was a Compaq Armada m700 notebook, but I bought it
secondhand, and didn't get any CDs with it.  Actually, I did get a CD
with it - a linux CD (guy at the shop is an enthusiast).  I didn't have
any issues with that one, aside from the notebook itself being very
picky about memory.

Thanks for your help.  Sometimes four-eye policy is the answer!

Thanks
Hans