RE: GForce video card, upgrading Xorg

Gforce: Downloaded Nvidia proprietary driver which built a kernel module and
installed no sweat. Card works fine. Tuxracer/PlanetPenguin sails!
Flightgear, the most GLUTonous application I have [SIC] :-), runs the way
planetpenguin used to. In other words, blows that ati mach64 away.

Now, no longer needing the "dri-trunk" packages, I updated Xorg and this
removed all the previsous dri stuff which I thought I can now live with out.
Restarting X. Nothing.

Xorg.0.log is your friend. It was not finding modules. Locate cited them in
the old dri directories (I might have moved them there myself at some point).
Of course, I had made a copy so starting copying these modules to the main
modules directory. Retry, need more, copy, retry, need more ... so much
easier just to place the dri-save directory in the ModulesPath list, now
last. Voile.