Re: Supported Video Cards under Free Software (was: Re: Best Video Card)

Rogério Brito <rbrito@ime.usp.br> wrote:
Hi, Manaen and others interested in Freedom.

On Apr 18 2006, Manaen Schlabach wrote:
> From a recent ZDNet article....
>
> http://news.com.com/2102-7344_3-6061491.html?tag=st.util.print

Yes, I read this very same article with great interest (and what a good
timing it had, considering our discussion here) and was pleased by what
I read.

> I personally value my computing freedoms and believe in what Debian
> and the FSF stand for so it looks like Intel will be getting a wad of
> my hard earned cash in the near future.

The very same here. I don't want to ge tied to a given operating system
and I would like to be able to use my hardware with other systems like,
say, OpenBSD (which I have not experienced before).

And, for this reason, having a big company like Intel backing the
development of drivers (which, after released, would be "imported" by
other projects) is indeed a nice thing that is able to guide my buying
decisions (and even what I recommend to the Universities where I work,
so that I can actually teach the use of Free Tools for students).

Regards, Rogério Brito.

Homepage on freshmeat: http://freshmeat.net/projects/algorithms/