Re: Sizes and notation

Andrei Popescu wrote:
Miles Bader <miles@gnu.org> wrote:

max@hyre.net writes:

  The confusion between 1000 and 1024 has been solved.  Take a
look at
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Binary_prefix#IEC_standard_prefixes
It's a really, REALLY good idea to adopt this.

No.  They're simply too insufferably ugly.

In the vast majority of cases it's quite clear from context which is
meant.

Disk-Drive advertisements are one notable case where things are
confusing, but really, you shouldn't be adjusting your language to suit
marketing!

-Miles

We are talking about numbers here! Context is IMO not enough. I sure
hope that standard gets widely adopted. For me, this has (almost)

I hope nobody uses it.

nothing to do with marketing. You just can't use the same symbol for
different things. It's like having the same symbol for miles and
kilometers!

Yeah, like "$" meaning USD and meaning Mexican Peso, and meaning
Peruvian Pesetas...

Let's make everybody change everything so Andrei never gets
confused, especially whether 1KB means 1024 or 1000 bytes!

In fact, let's outlaw all currently living languages, and
make everyone use Esperanto.

:-)

Mike
You have found the bank of Larn.