Re: System booting to the GRUB prompt instead of menu

On 4/19/06, Yu,Glen [Ontario] <Glen.Yu@ec.gc.ca> wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> This is a question about GRUB not on Debian, but SuSE.  I just felt that this is not really a Debian-specific topic so I decided to ask here so don't flame me if you don't like it..
>
> First of all, I don't really like splash screens/pics during boot and would rather see the details so a couple of days ago I removed the option that said "splash=silent" (it was there by default) in my /boot/grub/menu.lst .  Since then it has taken me to the GRUB prompt rather than showing me the menu options.  I was able to boot in by typing the commands:
>
> root (hd0,0)
> kernel /boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/hda4 ro
> initrd /boot/initrd
> boot
>
> I've tried adding that option back in and I've tried repairing GRUB, but is not able to rectify the problem.  It appears to me like GRUB isn't reading from /boot/grub/menu.lst at all!!  I've posted this question in various forums but so far no help whatsoever.  If anyone has any suggestions, I would like to hear it.
>
> Thanks in advance,
> -Glen

Your grub menu.lst file should look something like this bear in mind
this is only an example your partitions will of course look
differently hd(x,y)

gfxmenu (hd0,4)/message
color white/blue black/light-gray
default 0
timeout 8

title linux
   kernel (hd0,4)/vmlinuz root=/dev/hda7 vga=791
   initrd (hd0,4)/initrd

title windows
   chainloader(hd0,0)+1

title floppy
   chainloader(fd0)+1

title failsafe
   kernel (hd0,4)/vmlinuz.shipped root=/dev/hda7 ide=nodma \
   apm=off acpi=off vga=normal nosmp maxcpus=0 3
   initrd (hd0,4)/initrd.shipped

It's very possible that you deleted more that just your splash=silent
if you are having trouble booting now.  It would be easier to help if
you posted your menu.lst file.

If you wanted to disable SuSe splash screen you could have done this

Enter the command echo 0 >/proc/splash on the command line to disable
the graphical screen. To activate it again, enter echo 1
>/proc/splash.

All of this information is available for free at Novell's site

http://www.novell.com/documentation/suse10/index.html?page=/documentation/suse10/adminguide/data/sec_grub_basic.html