Re: Partition image on the fly

Digby Tarvin wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 18, 2006 at 03:41:26PM +0100, George Borisov wrote:
>> Ron Johnson wrote:
>>> dd?  Only if the restore-partition is the *exact* same size, right?
>> Same, or larger. If it is larger then you resize the partition after dd
>> to the actual maximum size. We do this with NTFS disk images all the
>> time, I assume ext2/3 will work just as well.
>
> What utility do you propose using to do that? The ones I know of would
> still require that you dd to a partition of the exact same size, and
> then resize the partition and filesystem together.

For NTFS we used ntfsresize. We would then reboot into Windows which
would force a disk check, reboot again and it would work just fine.

YMMV, of course, but it has been working just fine for a long time (we
do lots of re-imaging of network clients.) The images we use are taken
from small (5-10GB) partitions (deliberately shrunk, swap file removed
etc.) which are deployed onto larger partitions.

As I said, I have not tried it with EXT2/3 but there is a similar
program (resize2fs) and I would be surprised if it did not work (as NTFS
is a less open format.) I may be wrong though, on this point.

Hope this helps,

--
George Borisov

DXSolutions Ltd