Re: Big fonts (audacity and xmms)

On Sun, 2006-04-16 at 10:30 +0100, Liam O'Toole wrote:
> On Sun, 16 Apr 2006 06:25:44 +0200
> Benjamí Villoslada <benjami@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Audacity and XMMS shows big and ugly not anti-aliasing fonts (
> > http://bitassa.com/stuff/audacitybigfonts.png ). Other GTK programs
> > such as Gimp have fine fonts
> > ( http://bitassa.com/stuff/gimpfonts.png ).
> >
> > How I can change the XMMS and Audacity fonts?  Thanks!
> >
> > audacity 1.2.4b-2
> > gimp 2.2.10-2
> >
> > Regards,
> >

> Audacity and XMMS are both GTK1 applications (directly or indirectly),
> whereas the GIMP uses GTK2. There are big differences in font rendering
> and configuration between the two toolkits.
>
> You can customise fonts in GTK1 applications by creating the
> file .gtkrc with the following contents:
>
>     style "user-font" {
>         fontset = "<font-specification>"
>     }
>     widget_class "*" style "user-font"
>
> where <font-specification> represents a font specification in the style
> used by traditional X applications, such as
> "-adobe-helvetica-medium-r-normal--*-120-*-*-*-*-*-*")

Hi Liam

I found your tip very interesting, because I have the same problem with
big fonts in, for example, xmms and gnome-commander. Following your
advice, and the example of Benjamí, I created the file .gtkrc with the
following content:

    style "user-font" {
        fontset = "-adobe-helvetica-medium-r-normal-*-12-*-*-*-*-*-*-*"
    }
    widget_class "*" style "user-font"

and put it in my home directory. But nothing happens... the big fonts
continue there... So, should I put the .gtkrc file in another place?

Thanks in advance!

Marcelo

--
Marcelo Chiapparini