Debian-Sarge CEBIT-Edition: wrong or no root-password ?

Dear ladies and gentlemen,

I tried to install Debian-Sarge from the Debian-CD I got on the CEBIT in
Hannover (is it out of the magazine "LINUX" ? )

However, everything went fine, but I got no way to become root.
The password is not known, and at installation process it is not been asked.

So I tried to find out, and IMO it should be "giltehnicht" (without quotes).
Neither changing the password using sudo ,nor  to become root using su, or
deleting the password in /etc/shadow- did not succeed, too.

Do you have any hints?

Best regards

Hans