Re: How to detect SATA cdrom

On Sun, Apr 16, 2006 at 11:30:35AM -0600, Joseph Smidt wrote:
> When I first tried to install Debian the install cd wouldn't detect my
> cdrom.  Frans pop emailed me and showed me how to fix the problem:
>
> >Is this a SATA cdrom drive? In that case see:
> >http://wiki.debian.org/DebianInstaller/SataAtapiHowto<http://wiki.debian.org/DebianInstaller/SataAtapiHowto>
>
> Now that everything is installed Debian doesn't detect the cdrom, it says
> "no cdrom found".  Does anybody know what I can do about this?  I am new to
> configuring hardware.
>

> --
>        Joseph Smidt
>      jsmidt@byu.edu

Which kernel version?

Is this a case of a SATA main disk and an IDE cdrom?

What does your /etc/fstab say?

I can possibly give you pointers - Andrew Pollock had a similar
problem on a Dell laptop and his blog gave me the steps I needed to
get it working. [It wasn't immediately apparent - but it did give me a
couple of useful tips and ended a frustrating week of trying to work it
out for myself :) ]

Andy