Re: ADDRCONF(NETDEV_UP): eth1: link is not ready [diagnosed]

On Wed, Mar 29, 2006 at 10:08:29PM -0800, Ross Boylan wrote:
> The kernel log shows the message in the subject line among its startup
> messages.  It also shows it if I do ifdown eth1 followed by ifup.

With some help from the people on the e1000 list, I figured out the
problem: different physical hardware is getting associated with, e.g.,
eth0 on different bootups.  The message indicates (at least in this
case) the absence of a cable.

My machine has ethernet on motherboard, another on a card, and also
reports an ieee1394 ethernet device.  Others have run into this
problem too.

I'm not entirely sure what the best way to fix this up is in the new
udev world.  The eth? names appear under /sys, not /dev, so my
initial thought was that udev, which (I think) manages /dev, couldn't
help, The udev maintainer disagrees (bug #362963: "udev itself can
rename network interfaces"), I think, but I'm not yet clear on how a
solution would work.

http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/reference/ch-gateway.en.html#s-high-rename
suggests a number of alternatives, but exactly where to insert the
relevant operations wasn't clear to me.  I tried adding nameif as a
program to run by udev's hotplug, but this isn't right (it changes the
name in sysfs in the middle of udev's processing).

There's a bug report on the swapping of ethernet devices (351805), in
which one of the developers calls this "Known problem, with
unfortunately no good known solution."  (Feb 7, 2006).