Re: Xorg

On 16 Apr 2006, David Baron wrote:
> >On Sunday 16 April 2006 19:07, Anthony Campbell wrote:
> > On 16 Apr 2006, David Baron wrote:
> > > Xorg update on Sid will remove a load of stuff without reinstalling
> > > equivalents. There is also a list of new hardware oriented modules to
> > > come in. What is safe to upgrade at this point or should on wait on this.
> > >
> > > Please CC off-list since I still do not get digests!
> >
> > Definitely don't! It worked the first time but next day everything went
> > wrong. I can now get X to load but it won't read my xinitrc file and
> > icewm won't load so it's useless - total disaster.
> >
> > In desperation I installed testing on a spare partition but that didn't
> > help either because whenever I tried to install any package I got a
> > message about e2fsprogs (can't remember the details) which was blocking
> > all installs. Google (on a different machine, still working) produced a
> > lot of stuff about this but no solutions that I could understand.
> >
> > Currently I'm feeling pretty despondent about things. Perhaps I shall
> > have to install Stable to get a working X.
> >
> > Anthony
>
> Figured as much. Yes, Sid is unstable, but posting half done stuff is really
> not "fair" to the Debian community. I am compiling kde myself because of the
> mess that was--maybe I'll go back to debian packages for kde4.
>

> --
Thanks to hints from various kind people here, I have now finally got X
running again. It seems you have to do a thorough reinstall of xorg and
then dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg. The other tricky bit is that if
xorg doesn't like your $HOME/.xinitrc it won't start. It doesn't tell
you why, it just fails silently. It took me the best part of a day to
work that one out.

Anthony

--
Anthony Campbell - ac@acampbell.org.uk
Microsoft-free zone - Using Linux Gnu-Debian