Re: Xorg upgrade: Getting twm not kde

On Sun, Apr 16, 2006 at 11:46:57AM -0400, Edward C. Jones wrote:
> I use a PC with an AMD Athlon64 3500+ chip and Debian unstable, i386 port.
>
> At about 6 PM (EDT) on April 15, 2006, I used synaptic to upgrade my
> system. When I enter "startx" I now get some simple window manager
> instead of KDE. An article in debian-user suggested that X was using
> /usr/lib/x11/xinit/xinitrc. This seems to be correct since I am getting
> the three xterms and a clock mentioned in that file. Therefore I am
> probably in twm.

Indeed you are.

> I want "startx" to start KDE. Which config file changes do I need to make?

Do you have an .xinitrc ?  It should say something like 'startkde' (I
can't remember the exact command to put in it).  If not you'll have to
create it with something like that in it.

> How do I exit twm?

Ctrl-Alt-Backspace should almost always exit X if there's not a menu
option to do so (I can't remember if there if one in twm) -- but it
won't exit cleanly, so be aware of that.

--
Christopher Nelson -- chris@cavein.org
When some people discover the truth, they just can't understand why