Re: GRUB error 18

bthepixwiz@cox.net wrote:

>     I just got Debian installed on my extra computer, but whenever I start it, it goes to stage 1.5, then gives me error 18, and stops. I have found out that error 18 has something to do with the boot loader and 8 gigs, but I'm not sure. I have a 30 gigabyte Seagate Barracuda, and I installed Debian using a netboot from two floppys. I can only boot from floppies, so I can't use CDs. Can anyone point me in a direction to fix this? Thanks.

If I remember correctly, this has happened to me once. My solution was
to set access mode of the hard drive from "LBA" to "Auto" in BIOS. The
strange thing was that it seemed to autodetect LBA anyway, but the error
was no more.

I came to conclusion that the BIOS is broken and I did not investigate
any further.