Re: ATTN: Barbara Oncay

From: Gene Heskett <gene.heskett@verizon.net>
To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
Subject: Re: ATTN: Barbara Oncay
Date: Sat, 15 Apr 2006 00:28:25 -0400

On Friday 14 April 2006 21:57, Ken Irving wrote:
>On Fri, Apr 14, 2006 at 01:11:20PM -0400, hendrik@topoi.pooq.com wrote:
>> >
>> >     It's there.
>>
>> This is not the first time I've seen an argument about whether a
>> specific message had the unsubscribe tag-line appended to it.
>> There would seem to be confused mail clients out there that  cut off
>> the signature if there is also a PGP key.  Does anyone know which
>> ones?
>
>IMHO the confused clients must be the ones showing the tag-line. ;-)
>
>I think the pgp thing is a red (pink?) herring; the effect is actually
> due to MIME encoding, which pgp messages use, as do other messages.

I think you are correct.  The answer I haven't looked up yet, is what is
an email agent supposed to do with 2 or 3 extra text lines that are
below the end marker of the mimetype?  IMO it should fall back to plain
text mode and display it, but what does the actual rfc say about such a
situation?

And, how much screwing around would it be to make the listserver actualy
wrap it with the proper mimetype declaration?

Test question for the mutt users here.  Is there a way to turn off mutts
automatic sig trimming (anything below the "-- ") thats preventing
those users from seeing it in a message I originate since with that
exception, I'm sending plain text.

--
Cheers, Gene
message by Gene Heskett are: