Re: Another bug of debian package --- Validation issue

On Sat, 15 Apr 2006 20:27:06 -0700 (PDT)
formless void <formlessv@yahoo.com> wrote:

> The package xfree86-common (4.3.0.dfsg.1-14sarge1)
> [security] is not relavant to the fact sheet at
>
> http://packages.debian.org/stable/x11/xfree86-common
>
> When I was trying to do installation under Xandros
> Network, it mentions the package as hpijs instead of
> xfree86.  All the dependents are print script related.
>  I have checked that md5sum is correct.  This implies
> that md5sum check can not fully validate the package
>
> Why is IT industry so massy about the product management?

I think you should stop mixing distros. If you installed Xandros than
stick to whatever packages *they* are offering. My experiences with
Xandros are similar. It installes nice, but don't try to tinker with
it. It wasn't meant for that. If you want to experiment, then install
Debian stable. Learn about it and *after* you feel more confident and
understand more about how it works, gradually move up to testing or even
unstable, or stick with stable if it suits your needs.

There are still many things for you to learn about Linux and Debian.
Sarge is very good for this as it is VERY stable (that's what it was
made for).

Now grab the first sarge CD, install, look at man pages, google the
web, look through /usr/share/doc/...

Happy Linuxing
Andrei
(Albert Einstein)