Re: newbie question on finding and keeping customized files with dpkg or apt

Marco Prandini wrote:

Hello,
I'm switching to Debian after a long time on RedHat, and I haven't been able to find a couple of functions of the package manager I'd like to use... hoping they exist at all!

1) I'd like to find which files of a package have been altered with respect to the original version, in the same way I did with "rpm -V".
2) I'd like to instruct "apt-get upgrade" to leave them alone

That's because I didn't resist the urge to make some customization to my system, and I don't want them to be overwritten by the upgrade procedure.

Thanks a lot!
Marco

1.
In Synaptic, packages that have an upgrade available (after updating sources) are marked with a special symbol.

You could install the package wajig (see article rpm to apt-get/dpkg http://xtronics.com/reference/rpm2apt-dpkg.htm). Eg if package swig is on hold and a newer version is available, wajig toupgrade gives this output:

   # wajig toupgrade
   Package                  Available                Installed
   ========================-========================
   swig                     1.3.28-1                 1.3.24-1
   #

2.
According to the Debian Reference Manual http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/reference/ch-package.en.html you can hold eg packages |libc6| and |libc6-dev using

# echo -e "libc6 hold\nlibc6-dev hold" | dpkg --set-selections

or in Aptitude using the '=' key.

In Synaptic you can highlight a package and use Package -> Lock Version.

Also, wajig hold package-name(s).

Hth
Chris.