Re: SCSI emulation of USB camera

On (15/04/06 10:58), David Purton wrote:
> To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
> From: David Purton <dcpurton@chariot.net.au>
> Date: Sat, 15 Apr 2006 10:58:13 +0930
> Subject: Re: SCSI emulation of USB camera
>
> On Fri, Apr 14, 2006 at 05:42:52PM -0500, Ron Johnson wrote:
> > On Fri, 2006-04-14 at 21:52 +0100, James Westby wrote:
> > > Hi all,
> > >
> > > I am trying to get my Canon S1 IS to work under Debian. I am running a
> > > mixed testing/unstable system (mostly testing, except for libc6,
> > > X.org, udev and linux-image and their dependencies).
> >
> > Could it be that the S1 IS uses the PTP protocol?
> >

> It does use PTP and this camera is currently broken with gphoto2. See
>
> https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?group_id=8874&atid=108874&func=detail&aid=1224783
>
> You must force the camera to use PTP mode in whatever app you are using.

I tried that workaround and it didn't work.

$ gphoto2 --camera "Canon Powershot S1 IS (PTP mode)" --port=usb\: -L

*** Error ***
An error occurred in the io-library ('Bad parameters'): Could not find USB device (vendor 0x4a9, product 0x309c). Make sure this device is connected to the computer.
*** Error (-2: 'Bad parameters') ***

For debugging messages, please use the --debug option.
Debugging messages may help finding a solution to your problem.
If you intend to send any error or debug messages to the gphoto
developer mailing list <gphoto-devel@lists.sourceforge.net>, please run
gphoto2 as follows:

    env LANG=C gphoto2 --debug --camera "Canon Powershot S1 IS (PTP mode)" --port=usb: -L

Please make sure there is sufficient quoting around the arguments.

At least the person in the bug report had their camera detected, so I
know I should at least be able to get that far. It's also what makes
me think that I have a problem with my configuration, and it might be
Debian specific.

> I went and bought a card reader...

I might well end up doing that. It also reduces the risk that I catch
the wire and send my camera plummeting to the floor.

James

--
  James Westby
  jw+debian@jameswestby.net