Re: Help with Hardware {Not Debian Specific}

From: "Matthew R. Dempsky" <mrd@alkemio.org>

On Thu, Apr 13, 2006 at 06:26:05AM +0000, Lynn Kilroy wrote:
> My machine has twin WD1600JS SATA RAID hard drives. I have them setup to
> mirror each other, but I find them unreliable and I suspect heat trouble
> because they get really hot to the touch.

Sorry, I don't have any specific advice, but a few quick followup
questions:  How old are the drives?  Why do you find them unreliable?
Do the heat troubles affect both of them?  Do any other components seem
to overheat as well?

The drives are brand new. 160GB SATA RAID Drives, Western Digital Caviar Drives. When they get hot, they seem to shut down, and the OS, in it's efforts to work with the data on the now apparently disabled drives crashes. Both drives appear to be affected, as they both seem to get very hot to the touch. No other components seem to suffer these problems.

The older hard drives are 2GB IDE hard drives, and although they get warm, they don't get hot to the touch. The other parts {CPU, etcetera} seem okay, all their cooling equipment working perfectly. The mother board is under six months old, and is an AMD 800MHz with 768MB RAM installed. It does seem to have some trouble talking to an ATI Radeon 7000 video card, but I have been unable to ascertain if that's the motherboard or the video card.

The machine works fine {although slowly} with the 2GB IDE Hard Drives.

I am seriously considering just buying a ten inch fan and pointing it right at the side of the computer and never replacing the cowling. This would be an ugly solution, but it may be what I have to do - at least for a little bit. Buit I don't know if this would resolve the overheating issue or not.

Love & Friendship & Blessed Be!
Lynn Erika Kilroy