Posting to d-u with gmail smtp

Hello list

I just switched to gmail because my ISP is not very reliable and not
accessible from everywhere (not smtp). Now I have a different issue and
I was wondering how did other gmail users work around this. I'm posting
and receiving d-u from the same account via smtp/pop. Because gmail
saves my outgoing message it discards my post received via the list.

For those that don't know this little detail about gmail, they only
keep one copy of a message, but with different labels (inbox, sent, ...)

So the incoming message is considered identical (though it's not) to
the sent one and gets discarded. And I can't retrieve the one from Sent
Mail via pop.

Anyone found a workaround for this? My only idea is to use two separate
accounts, one for posting and one for receiving, but I want to use this
only as a last resort.

I also wrote to gmail about this. One should at least be able to switch
off "save sent" :(

Andrei
(Albert Einstein)