X programs crash with request_code 151

I just used aptitude to upgrade my debian/unstable box (the previous
full update was on 2006-03-19), and then several graphical programs
are now having one same error. For some it is fatal, for some it only
prints an error report.

These errors don't happen _at all _ when I launch windowmaker instead
of kde, and I absolutely don't know if this problem is specific to my
box, or due to a bug in a package (and then which package..)
Just in case it could be hardware-related, my video card is a nvidia
GeForce2 with 32MB RAM, and my screen is set to 1680x1050 (16bpp), I'm
using latest xorg server, with nv driver.

Here are the reports from a few various programs, hoping someone might
point me in the right direction :

-- firefox and thunderbird : crashes on launch with :
The program 'Gecko' received an X Window System error.
The error was 'BadRequest (invalid request code or no such operation)'.
(Details: serial 418 error_code 1 request_code 151 minor_code 23)

-- gqview : crashes on launch,
The program 'gqview' received an X Window System error.
The error was 'BadRequest (invalid request code or no such operation)'.
(Details: serial 143 error_code 1 request_code 151 minor_code 23)
etc.

-- "gimp --verbose" starts OK, until I click "open" then crashes
The error was 'BadRequest (invalid request code or no such operation)'.
(Details: serial 19546 error_code 1 request_code 151 minor_code 23)

- knode : reports errors, works normally
X Error: BadRequest (invalid request code or no such operation) 1
Major opcode: 151
Minor opcode: 23
Resource id: 0x3e00004

it seems all KDE apps work (printing a few of those reports along the
way), as overall my kde desktop and usual kde apps appear unaffected.

-- opera : reports that same error, works normally

-- Sam
PS : two previous attempts at reaching the mailing list still haven't produced any effect, 10 hours after sending the first mail. Is it me or are some emails being blocked by the ML system ?? what does it take to make it thru to this list ??