Re: syslog

On Wed, 2006-04-12 at 18:22 +0100, Adam Hardy wrote:
> I have way too much logging coming from hddtemp, which outputs a couple
> of lines every 5 seconds into /var/log/syslog.
>
> I tried to find a config file to control this but found nothing in
> /etc/default/hddtemp, or any reference from man hddtemp.
>
> I tried excluding it via /etc/syslog,conf, but I don't know which
> facility.priority it is being logged with.
>
> How can I find out?
>
> Thanks
> Adam

Hi Adam,

I know this is not a direct solution for your problem, but you might
consider using syslog-ng. This gives you a lot more control over the
logging, and you can easily filter out hddtemp and log that to a
seperate file or even /dev/null.

The default syslog-ng install has a config file to simulate syslog's
behaviour, so you shouldn't even notice any difference. Then you can
edit the config file and filter out hddtemp's logging.

Just a suggestion

Philippe De Ryck