Re: Applications do not get a menu item in my Gnome menu???

Joost Kraaijeveld wrote:

> Every so now and then I install an GUI application that does not show up
> in any menu I can click on. This time it is doxywizard from the package
> doxygen-gui 1.4.6-2.
>
> The package has installed an /usr/share/menu/doxygen-gui file and I
> thought that that was the file that would make the program appear in a
> specific menu:

This is not the first question this week regarding this topic, so I
guess a bit of explanation needs to be done.

The are two menu standards in Debian: the freedesktop.org menu spec and
Debian Menu system. The thing is that they both live separate lives.

While most window managers found in Debian use the Debian Menu system,
GNOME (and I think KDE) use freedesktop.org menu spec. To make things
worse, a Debian menu file is mandatory (as defined in Debian Policy),
but freedesktop.org one is optional.

There currently is no solution for this double standard, but there is a
package called "menu-xdg" that translates Debian Menu files into
freedesktop.org menu files, so they become visible in GNOME.

> 1. Given the file above, should that program appear in any menu? Is so,
> which menu?

In GNOME it will probably appear as /Debian/Apps/Programming/Doxywizard.

> 2. How can I make the program appear?

Install "menu-xdg".

> 3. Is the the manual at
> http://www.debian.org/doc/packaging-manuals/menu.html/ still valid (I
> tried several things described in that manual but I get all kind of
> results, and not anyone the wanted result ;-))?

Perfectly valid for Debian Menu system. It, however, has nothing to do
with freedesktop.org menu spec.