Re: Why do people in the UK put a u in the word color?

On Tuesday 11 April 2006 11:50, Yu,Glen [Ontario] wrote:
> Well said.
>
> And it's not just the UK.  That's how it is in Canada as well.  I'm not the
> type to keep score, but I believe its 2-1 now?

Not always.  Canada goes both ways on the "er/re" and "our/or" conventions,
and seems to be determined by preference of the author.  Example off the top
of my head would be signs pointing you to "CITY CENTER" one block and "CITY
CENTRE" the next: Any other text on the first sign would use the Americanized
spellings, the latter would use the Queen's dictionary.  This doesn't seem to
be limited to any particular timeframe, older signs using the Victoria
typeface switch spellings as much the newer ones using the American-style
Blue Highway typeface.

--
Paul Johnson
Jabber: Because it's time to move forward  http://ursine.ca/Ursine:Jabber