Re: sound volume not persistent between reboots

Checking...

Yes, that script is there. And it is pointed to by /etc/init.d/rcS.d/S50alsa-utils.

I think that should be '/etc/rcS.d/S50alsa-utils'.

Oops.  You're right, of course

<more snip>

What happens if you manually invoke '/etc/init.d/alsa-utils start'? Do
you now have the required volume?

Yes, indeed! So the plumbing is all there, it just isn't getting fired up correctly on boot and/or shutdown. Actually, this test probably indicates that the problem is at boot since there were settings there for the script to pick up (presumably placed there on shutdown).

Interestingly enough, the output I get when running alsa-utils is:

Setting up ALSA...done.

I see that in my boot log 27 lines above where it gives the error about /etc/init.d/alsa being called incorrectly. I wonder if it is doing the right thing, but then later undoing it because of the bad call to the other alsa script. Should both of these be getting called?

Maybe I should remove the symlinks to /etc/init.d/alsa and see what happens since alsa-util is already getting called earlier. Any thoughts?

There are two links to alsa scripts in the /etc/rc2.d dir: alsa and alsasound. Plus the call to alsa-util from /etc/rcS.d makes three. I'm really starting to wonder if all three of these are meant to be called at startup.

Thanks,
Rick Reynolds
--
Think like a man of action, act like a man of thought -- Henry Bergson