Re: make config and .config file

Adam Hardy wrote:
What's the situation with the .config file when recompiling the kernel?

I am running 2.6.12 and it took me a few attempts to get that config right, which I stupidly didn't document.

Now I want to upgrade to 2.6.16 and I am not sure whether I can use the old .config file from my /usr/src/linux-2.6.12 dir.

old config file is in /boot/config-`uname -r` for current running kernel.

Will using an old .config from 2.6.12 override some new defaults that may have appeared in 2.6.16?

I'm unsure of the mechanism used by the make xconfig or menuconfig step.

U can simply copy the config file to .config in the src directory and then run xconfig or menuconfig or oldconfig.

I run menuconfig and the 'Load Alternative config file' and enter /boot/config-path.

Thanks
Adam

HTH

Wackojacko