Best partitioning with dualboot?

Hi all,

I've had some problem with my laptop harddisk. It is the partitioning that is part of the problem. I've had this sarge install for some years now, with dualboot with windoze. I "think" the partition was:
/dev/hda1 primary	boot	windoze xp
/dev/hda4 extended with logical drives
/dev/hda5 logical	another fat32 partition
/dev/hda6 logical	/
/dev/hda7	swap
/dev/hda8 logical	/home (the rest of the disk

The problem was after I formated hda1 and reinstalled windoze. After that it was just like a partition was gone.... / was suddenly hda5....

I was able to get the / and /home partition with dd and tested to restore the / part, that was OK.

I've tested partition with fsck and got no errors so I dont know what went wrong this time when reinstalling windoze. Usually I just install it from the second dos part, start debian with cd and rerun lolo, thats it. No I was not able to read the disk parts with either fdisk of qparted from Knoppix. Anyhow, I deleted the old fat32 part and created a new primary linux partition, restored the image and rebooted from the new partition, then made ext3 filesystem with no problem. This is 6 G of total 40.

So, what is the best way to partition the rest this time? Any hints or tips?

/ernst-magne

(Albert Einstein)