Re: edit text files as root

David Clymer wrote:
On Sun, 2006-04-09 at 18:01 -0400, kamaraju kusumanchi wrote:
According to http://kudos.berlios.de/kf/kisimlar/tipsntrix.html#rootedit , In Ubuntu one can edit the text files as root using the "Edit as Root" option. But I could not find this option in Debian unstable KDE 3.5.2 . How can I achieve this behavior in Debian as well?

kdesu kate <name of file> from the command line should work.
But that is from command line. I was looking for something that works from say konqueror.
 However, if
you are looking for a context menu option, you may have to add that
yourself. I'm not a KDE user, so I forget how to do this offhand. If you
right click on the file you are attempting to edit, I'm guessing you'll
see an "open with" option that may allow you to specify a command to use
to open that type of file. If you specify 'kdesu kate %f' it might work.
This is of no use because, let's say I am editing a file called file.txt which is associated with, say, gvim. I want to use root permissions on *.txt only when necessary. If I use your method, then kdesu will be invoked with root permission even when it is not necessary.

For example to edit /etc/file.txt , I probably want to use root permission. But to edit ~/file.txt I do not need root permissions. I can edit as a normal user itself.

thanks
raju

--
http://kamaraju.googlepages.com/cornell-bazaar