Re: minor (major) fetchmail problem

On Sun, 2006-04-09 at 11:05 -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:
> On Sunday 09 April 2006 02:54, Ron Johnson wrote:
> >On Sun, 2006-04-09 at 16:40 +1000, Lloyd Bayley - Berowra PC Services
> >
> >wrote:
> >> Yes, I realise that...been thinking of it but when I change the cron
> >> job to run as another user, that user has to be logged in.
> >
> >Ummmm...
> >
> >> I log on locally as root....maybe I should log on as myself and 'su
> >> -' if I need to do anything system-ish...
> >
> >Oh.  Gee, I just assumed that's what everyone does.
>
> Chuckle, not all of us have drank the koolaid.  I run as root here about

Which koolaid would that be?

Remember: the reason that Windows is so open to malware is that
99.999% of user accounts have been given Administrator privilege.
So, from a security POV, your box is no more secure than a random
Windows box.

> 99% of the time.  But stuff like fetchmail runs as me, gene, an
> unpriviledged user.  Its a matter of security IMO.

Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson, LA USA

"I take my children everywhere, but they always find their way
back home."
Robert Orben