Re: building an etch box

On Sat, 2006-04-08 at 14:00 -0800, Tim Jordan wrote:
> After building a debian box with the debian-31r1a-i386-netinst.iso I
> want to upgrade this box to unstable.  What is the correct way to do
> this?  I'm thinking I have to change my /etc/apt/sources.list to read
> unstable, but that didn't work.
>
> Do I have to --dist-upgrade to testing first then update my sources.list
> and do another --dist-upgrade to unstable?

My guess is that if you don't know how to do this, then you probably
lack the skills necessary to deal with breakage that can occasionally
occur in the unstable branch. If your motivation is to get access to
more up to date software, I would suggest just running testing ("etch").
However, you're free to do what you like.

To upgrade to unstable:

1. edit /etc/apt/sources.list so that any instances of "stable" or
"sarge" are replaced with "unstable"
2. apt-get update
3. apt-get dist-upgrade

-davidc