need help with installing WLAN package

Hi,
i recently install debian sarge and right now I am trying to configure it to work with wireless USB adaptor 'netgear ma101'. I downloaded the linux-wlan-ng-0.2.3.tar.gz uncompressed it and then tried to 'make config' it however it complaned that i don't have configed kernel.
 Instruction that come in the package README file say that I need to have "configured kernel source code for the kernel I am running". I  installed debian sarge from  binaries and since i am very inexperienced in linux I have no idea how to  provide configured kernel code or is there an alternate way? Any help will be greatly appreciated.

best regards,

Dmitry Hits.