Re: help - xlibmesa-gl-dev_6.9.0.dfsg.1-4_i386.deb

Jim Woodward wrote:
I am running etch with kernel 2.6.16-1 and don't know how to fix
problem. I will include what happens when I run synaptic:

(Reading database ... 127280 files and directories currently installed.)
Unpacking xlibmesa-gl-dev (from ..../xlibmesa-gl-dev_6.9.0.dfsg.1-4_i386.deb)
...dpkg: error processing
/var/cache/apt/archives/xlibmesa-gl-dev_6.9.0.dfsg.1-4_i386.deb (--unpack):
trying to overwrite `/usr/include/GL/glext.h', which is also in package
mesa-common-dev

Not all changes and updates succeeded. If you are interessted in the
details of the failure, please expand the the 'terminal' panel.

This seems to be a bug in the xlibmesa-gl-dev and/or the mesa-common-dev
package. There are two overlapping filenames: /usr/include/GL/glext.h
and /usr/include/GL/gl.h. I just checked the two packages and these two
files are identical in both of them, although mesa-common-dev puts the
files directly into /usr/include/GL/, while xlibmesa-gl-dev installs
them into /usr/X11R6/include/GL/ and creates symlinks in
usr/include/GL/. I do not know which package is "supposed" to have these
files, or if there should be "conflicts" fields to make sure that the
two packages are never installed at the same time. A bug was already
filed a while ago against xlibmesa-gl-dev, but there has not been any
reaction so far:

Since the conflicting files are the same no matter which package you
take them from, I would hope that you can just make xlibmesa-gl-dev
overwrite the files and be done with it. You can do this by becoming
root and using the command

dpkg -i --force-all /var/cache/apt/archives/xlibmesa-gl-dev_6.9.0.dfsg.1-4_i386.deb

followed by

apt-get install -f

(or whatever the corresponding action is with synaptic)

Please note, however, that I do not know the internals of Xorg well
enough to guarantee anything: use at your own risk, your mileage may
vary, etc.

Regards,
           Florian