middle click paste in emacs acting weird

Hi,

I have noticed this for a while now that if I select some text (using
the mouse drag operation) in some application (mozilla, acroread, etc.)
and try to paste it into an emacs buffer with middle click of the mouse,
it sometimes works and sometimes it doesn't.

I have tried to experiment, and sometimes if I select and paste test
within emacs, I can then select text in some other application and then
paste it in emacs. But other times, I cannot; apparently (though I may
be wrong) if there is some selected text in the emacs 'clipboard', it
takes precedence over a text selected in another application.

Hope I have made sense above. Can somebody help solve this problem or
straighten it out or explain this? Thanks.

> dpkg -l *emacs* | grep ^i
ii  emacs-goodies-el              26.5-2         Miscellaneous add-ons
for Emacs
ii  emacs21                       21.4a-3        The GNU Emacs editor
ii  emacs21-bin-common            21.4a-3        The GNU Emacs editor's
shared, architecture
ii  emacs21-common                21.4a-3        The GNU Emacs editor's
shared, architecture
ii  emacsen-common                1.4.17         Common facilities for
all emacsen

->HS