Re: disableing gnome destop background?

Britton Kerin wrote:
> I would like to be able to display pictures for my desktop background,
> and change them every so often.  It seems that gnome doesn't do this,
> so I though I'd just do it from a script with xsetbg, but I think for
> this to work I need to somehow tell gnome to not do anything to the
> X root window.  I couldn't figure out how to do this, can anyone tell
> me?

Nautilus (the GNOME file manager) is responsible for drawing the
desktop. If you definitely want to use xsetbg, you'll need to add the
--no-desktop option when nautilus is started; you can do this using
gnome-session-properties.

One possible drawback of this method is that desktop icons will not be
drawn.

You can set the desktop background from a script, though, without
disabling Nautilus' drawing the desktop, by using gconftool-2:

gconftool-2 --type string --set \
 /desktop/gnome/background/picture_filename \
 <image file pathname>

One drawback of this method is that it seems to have some sort of flaky
relationship with ~/.gnome2/backgrounds.xml. YMMV, HTH

cmr