Installing a 3Com EhterLink Driver

I'm still relatively new to Linux, but I'm learning :] I've been using Debian for a few months, and I'm ready to connect to the internet. I've got a Debian box at work and at home. I'd like to connect the work box to my company's T1 connection.

I ran:

dmesg | grep eth

which returned nothing. I think this means that I don't have a device driver for my ethernet card intsalled. I have the Debian box at work dual-booting with MS Windows XP. So I pulled the model information for my ethernet card of the Windows OS. It is a 3Com EtherLink XL card. I then found a place to download a Linux driver for that model ethernet card. However, I can't find Debian package for the driver. Is there such a thing?

If not, how do I install the driver? Do I have to "recompile" the kernel, or can I just compile the source code for the driver? (I've never compiled source code on my Linux boxes, or recompiled the kernel. So either way, I'm going to learn something new!)

Thanks for the help.

Scott Huey