Re: evolution fails to start on Etch

On Wed, 2006-05-04 at 20:00 -0400, H.S. wrote:
> H.S. wrote:
> > For the last few days, I am not able to start evolution, neither by
> > clicking on its icon on KDE panel nor over command line. Command line
> > starting doesn't even give any output. Anyone knows what is going on?
> > Looks like something happened in one of my upgrades within the last week.
> >
> > I have Debian Etch, kernel 2.6.15, and:
> > {~}> dpkg -l *evolution* | grep ^ii
> > ii  evolution      2.4.2.1-1      The groupware suite
> >
> > Thanks,
> > ->HS
> >

> I just noticed that I had a bunch of evolutions processes running (pgrep
> evolution). After killing all of them and trying to start evolution
> again, I get:
>
> $> evolution
> adding hook target 'source'
> *** glibc detected *** free(): invalid pointer: 0x08176ad0 ***
>
> and nothing else happens. I have to kill the started process manually.
>
> Any idea what could be wrong?
> ->HS

While you can get it working from a command line by prefixing an
environment variable:

$ G_SLICE=always-malloc evolution &

apparently there are packages that should be backed out of to make it
work, but they are superseded in Etch already. The 2.4.2.1-2 is supposed
to be a fix, and the bugs about this are closed as being fixed, but
apparently it isn't. I'm looking to file a bug on this, but I'm still
trying to put enough information together - if you can file one faster,
I encourage you to do so.
--
Mark L. Kahnt
Snail: 50 William St, Apt 2B, Kingston ON K7L 2C4