Re: No shell, Only FTP access

Øyvind Lode wrote:
> Hello all
>
> I running a webserver with multiple users and domains.
> I want some users to have no shell access, only FTP access to upload
> websites and chroot'ed in their home directory.
>
> I have all the domains located in /home/www/domainname1/ ,
> /home/www/domainname2/ etc.
>
> I give the user proper access to the domain under /home/www/.
> I chroot'ed the user in /home/www/domainname1/
> I gave shell /bin/false
>
> User is denied shell access but also FTP!!!
> If I give /bin/bash and test the user is logged inn and chroot'ed in
> /home/www/domainame1/
>
> I'm using vsFTPd.
>
> How can I deny shell access and allow FTP?

You might get better answers on the debian-isp list.

Have you considered any of the following?

1) Using a package like scponly or rssh? (You probably should not let
your users use an insecure protocol like ftp anyways)
2) Using an ftp server that supports virtual users (not sure if vsftpd
does) so that they don't even have accounts on the machine?
3) Using something like linux-virtual-server to give each user their own
disk space?

-Roberto

--
Roberto C. Sanchez