SOLVED: group use of a Windows game in Wine (WAS: default group ownership of a file)

On Thu, Apr 06, 2006 at 05:38:49PM +0200, Albert Dengg wrote:
> Hi
>
> On Thu, Apr 06, 2006 at 10:10:41AM -0500, Michael Schurter wrote:
> > ChadDavis wrote:
> > >Hello.  I need to know how the group ownership of a file is decided in debian.  Also, is it the same for all linux systems?
> >
> > All Linux (and probably Unix) filesystems store a group ID number (gid) on a per-file basis.  The gid is looked up in /etc/group to get the textual group
> > name you're used to seeing.
> >
> > All users have a primary group membership as well as any number of secondary group memberships.  (use the /usr/bin/id command to get that info)  When a
> > user creates a file, that file's group owner is set to the users primary group.
> well that is not _completly_ true...
> at least in my expirience if the user has write permisions in the diectory only
> because of a certain group membership (for example in /usr/src with the
> src group) the gid of the file is set to respective group and not the
> users primary group.

Hooray!  I've been looking for this information for ages and didn't know
this was the question to ask.  What this does is anable me to run
multiuser Windows games under Wine!  Not multi at the same time, but
each user saves.  If the game keeps all the saves in one file, or even
has a file where it keeps *some* of the per-user information, the
question of ownership arises.  If it's save using the user's uid, no one
else will be able.  But if we install the entire game with a gamer group
ID and a user ID that no one uses, enable writing in the proper
directories (if necessary, all of them) then everything will just work,
because the gamer-group ID will be used for all the files!