Re: No DVD download

On Thu, 6 Apr 2006 14:09:40 +0200 (MEST)
Andre Pannes wrote:

> Dear Sir, Dear Mrs.
>
> Why can I not download the DVD Editon of Debian Sarge ??????????????????
>
> Link http://cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd/3.1_r0a/i386/iso-dvd/
>
> I have loaded this at 2005 on your Ftp Server and it works great now i
> must have a new DVD Editon for Private and Job (There handled better
> then CD´s).
>
> I DO NOT DOWNLOAD BY TORRENT or JIGDO share Networks.

Please don't yell at people from whom you're asking for help.

jigdo is *not* a peer-to-peer network protocol like bittorrent.  It is
a method for spreading the downloading of a large image (such as an
installation DVD) among all the mirrors, so that no one mirror gets
all its bandwidth consumed by DVD downloads.  When you use jigdo, you
*only* are downloading from official Debian mirrors, just as you would
be if you were downloading a DVD ISO from a single mirror.  Again:
the only effective difference between downloading a DVD ISO directly
from a single mirror, and using jigdo, is that you spread the
demand on bandwidth around to a bunch of different official mirrors,
rather than just using one.

If you still refuse to use jigdo, then you're forced to use whatever
official mirror is willing to offer up a big chunk of its bandwidth
for DVD downloads.  Right now, looking at

http://www.debian.org/CD/http-ftp/

there don't appear to be any official mirrors that are advertising
DVD images for download via http or ftp.

> Tell me please some alternate link or make a Download available,
> please !

Following the link above, you'll see a bunch of sites offering
CD (rather than DVD) downloads.  At some of those sites, there
are Sarge r1 DVD ISOs, even though they're not advertising them
directly on Debian web pages.  Follow the "http" or "ftp" links,
and then browse around (for example, click on "current" --> "i386"
--> "iso-dvd").  If you don't find such a directory, or find no
ISOs in it, then that mirror doesn't have them available; but
some of them do.  Find the one closest to you and download.

But better would be, if possible, to reconsider your feelings
about jigdo.

-c

		(remove "snip-me." to email)