dpkg-repack question

Hi,

Dpkg-repack creates a .deb out of an already installed package.

So I wrote a program to do a dpkg -l &>file and with file as input call dpkg-repack for each package in file.

The result is a file with all the installed packages as .debs.

So you would think that if you reinstalled the whole system with that file as /var/cache/apt/archives that he would never need another source for a package.

Wrong! Apt-get starts merrily downloading and ignores the contents of /var/cache/apt/archives.

What's wrong with the .deb that dpkg-repack creates?

Potentially this is great because now I have to carry /var/cache/apt/archives around all the time when I reinstall new systems and if dpkg-repack would work as advertised (I think ;-) ) then I would not have to!