Re: Kernel upgrade on Dell Power edge 750

On Tue, 2006-04-04 at 17:09 -0400, Tom Moore wrote:
> Does anyone know what is needed to upgrade this server from a 2.4 kernel to
> 2.6?
> Currently I have Sarge installed on a couple of these machines and I'm
> wanting to upgrade them to use 2.6 kernels.
> I tried installing the kernel-image-2.6-686 package and when I rebooted the
> machine did not come back up.
> Does anyone know what I need to change besides a kernel package upgrade?
> Also if the standard Debian kernels will not work what options should I
> include if I get a 2.6.16 tree from kernel.org?

Are you using Grub or Lilo for you bootloader?

Did the machine just NOT boot? or did it Start to boot and then hang or
panic?

Did you install all the pre-reqs for the 2.6 kernel?

Depends:
        initrd-tools (>= 0.1.63)
        coreutils or fileutils (>= 4.0)
        module-init-tools (>= 0.9.13)

Suggests:
        lilo (>= 19.1) or grub
        fdutils
        kernel-doc-2.6.8 or kernel-source-2.6.8

Conflicts:
        hotplug (<< 0.0.20040105-1)

Recommends:
        There are none

I suggest installing grub as the boot loader. Then doing this:
        grub-install /dev/sda (or hda or whatever the boot device is)

Then once you have the grub installed to boot, then run "update-grub"

Answer yes to the question and she is done.

Reboot and it should be good.

Leave the 2.4 kernel on there as it can be used for "emergency" boots
and so on.
--
greg, greg@gregfolkert.net

The technology that is