Re: mounting USB pen under 2.6

michael wrote:
I've had a look around but can't see how to mount my USB pen under 2.6
(stable). I've just upgraded from 2.4 where I had a line in /etc/fstab
	/dev/sda1    /usbkey     vfat   users,noauto        0       0
but under 2.6 my first SATA drive in now /dev/sda1 so I'm confused what
I should replace the about line with.

I see from SYSLOG that when I plug the USB pen into the slot:

[snip]

Apr  5 13:31:30 ratty kernel: sdc: assuming Write Enabled
Apr  5 13:31:30 ratty kernel: sdc: assuming drive cache: write through
Apr  5 13:31:30 ratty kernel:  /dev/scsi/host2/bus0/target0/lun0: p1
Apr  5 13:31:30 ratty kernel: Attached scsi removable disk sdc at scsi2,
channel 0, id 0, lun 0

but trying to mount sdc doesn't work:

michael@ratty:~$ sudo mount -t vfat /dev/sdc /usbkey mount: wrong fs
type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/sdc,
       missing codepage or other error
       dmesg | tail  or so

Try:

 mount /dev/sdc1 /usbkey

It seems that USB keys have a partition table and the relevant partition is normally 1.

Jerry Quinn