apt-cahcer ip address configuration

Hi all

I have recently installed apt-cacher to serve my local machine (including a ia32 chroot) and another machine on my LAN.

The problem I am having is I cannot seem to connect to the local machine from the LAN unless I specify the IP address of my 'server' explicitly in /etc/apt-cacher/apt-cacher.conf.

i.e
# optional setting, binds the listening daemon to one specified IP. Use # IP ranges for more advanced configuration, see below.
daemon_addr=xx.xx.x.x
#daemon_addr=localhost

This is fine, but it means I have to use the external address in the local machine /etc/apt/sources.list instead of localhost. There seems to be a speed penalty for doing this, presumably because it has to use the Router attached to the LAN to resolve the IP.

The default configuration is not to specify any IP adress and then netstat shows it listening on 0.0.0.0:3142. Then my client on the LAN can't connect, but localhost works fine for both the amd64 install and the chroot.

All machines use Sid and are up to date with self compiled 2.6.16 kernel from debian sources.

Thanks in advance for any insight.

Wackojacko