Re: Trouble Installing nvidia-graphics-driver on Etch

Vegard L. Rekaa wrote:
Hi folks,

just intstalled Etch after 2 years with Sarge. My graphic-card is of the
brand nVidia, and when I had Sarge
I used an installation-manual of the nVidia-driver from this website:

http://home.comcast.net/~andrex/Debian-nVidia/installation.html
I tried this on Etch but in all tries,  X won't start when I finish the
installation and put
        Driver "nvidia"
instead of
        Driver "nv"
in the xorg.conf file. At the bottom of this mail is my /etc/X11/xorg.conf
file.

What can I do to install the nVidia-driver properly?

Kernel: 2.6.15-1-486
Debian Etch, testing

Can you load the module? Try "modprobe nvidia" as root and post the
error messages (if you get any).

What do you mean by "X won't start"? Does the system return to the
console, or do you get a blank screen, does everything hang completely?
If the system is still responsive after a failed attempt to start X,
look at the error messages and warnings by running

egrep '^\((EE|WW)\)' /var/log/Xorg.0.log

and post the output here.

-----------------------/etc/X11/xorg.conf------------------------------------------
# xorg.conf (Xorg X Window System server configuration file)

[...]

Section "Module"
        Load    "bitmap"
        Load    "dbe"
        Load    "ddc"
        #Load    "dri"
        Load    "evdev"
        Load    "extmod"
        Load    "freetype"
        Load    "glx"
        Load    "int10"
        Load    "record"
        Load    "type1"
        Load    "vbe"
EndSection

[...]

Section "Device"
        Identifier      "NVIDIA Corporation NV5 [RIVA TNT2/TNT2 Pro]"
        Driver          "nvidia"
                    #      ^^^^^^^^----------When X won't start i change
this to "nv"
        BusID           "PCI:1:0:0"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
        Identifier      "COMPAL M557"
        Option          "DPMS"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
        Identifier      "Default Screen"
        Device          "NVIDIA Corporation NV5 [RIVA TNT2/TNT2 Pro]"
        Monitor         "COMPAL M557"
        DefaultDepth    16

[...]

        SubSection "Display"
                Depth           16
                Modes           "1280x1024" "1152x864" "1024x768" "832x624"
"800x600" "720x400" "640x480"
        EndSubSection
        SubSection "Display"
                Depth           24
                Modes           "1280x1024" "1152x864" "1024x768" "832x624"
"800x600" "720x400" "640x480"
        EndSubSection
EndSection

[...]

Section "DRI"
        Mode    0666
EndSection

That looks fairly normal to me, hopefully your error messages will give
us a clue what went wrong.

Regards,
           Florian