Re: soundcard via ac97

Mark Walter wrote:
Hi,

I'am trying to bring my soundcard to work under sarge with the kernel
2.6.16 compiled without module support so I can't use alsa.

This is the pci output of my card:

***
lspci|grep Multi
0000:00:04.5 Multimedia audio controller: VIA Technologies, Inc.
VT82C686 AC97 Audio Controller (rev 20)
***

With make menuconfig I use to compile a PCI card under device drivers:

VIA 82C686A/B, 8233/8235 AC97 Controller
Is this the wrong driver as I can't hear sound with xmms or xine ?

in your position i should try out the tar.gz rc4 file from the alsa-website. put this file in /usr/src/alsa (make this directory and build and install the drivers as *root*; after installation (if necessary) of the kernel-headers (use kpackage to make this somewhat easier). get rid, before building the als-kernel-modules of the *locked-up file* in lib/modules/kernel x.y.z etc.

install further the alsa libraries and alsa-utils as *user*, from the same site. reboot amd it should work.
the ac97 chip/module is supported as snd-intel8xy (or somethinf like that.

good luck. can be a struggle, but it is in my opinion valuable.

steef

--

you don't need the weathermen to know the way the wind blows

BOB DYLAN