Re: soundcard via ac97

Mark Walter wrote:

> I can't start alsamixer
>
> ***
> $ alsamixer
>
> alsamixer: function snd_ctl_open failed for default: No such device
> ***

You are probably missing "/etc/asound.conf" file. There is "alsaconf"
tool that (I think) generates it automatically, but you can simply
create it by hand. Try putting this in it:

pcm.via82xx {
    type hw
    card 0
    device 0
    }

ctl.via82xx {
    type hw
    card 0
    device 0
    }

> I don't use a kernel module it's compiled wihtout module support and as
> far as I know uses alsa kernel modules and the modules.conf for the
> sound support.

Not necessarily, you can build everything directly into kernel. Just do
not forget to include the OSS API emulation options (not the real OSS),
as many applications still use it.