Re: Will wine|win4lin|VMWare save my XP bacon?

On (31/03/06 15:37), Dave Witbrodt wrote:
> To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
> From: Dave Witbrodt <dawitbro@sbcglobal.net>
> Subject: Re: Will wine|win4lin|VMWare save my XP bacon?
> Date: Fri, 31 Mar 2006 15:37:52 -0500
>

> >At the start, my ThinkPad (A31) was dual booted via grub, Windows XP
> >on /dev/hda1, sid on the rest, 2.6.15-homemade kernel.  So I added a
> >second hard drive in the UltraBay. I then copied the XP partition to
> >the new drive -- dd if=/dev/hda1 of=/dev/hdb1 bs=$((1*1024*1024)). I
> >double checked: XP booted and recognized both C: and D: drives. OK, I
> >thought, and wiped Windows off the original drive, and took it all for
> >Debian, with / mounted on hda1.
>
>   So, booting the original XP, it was able to see the new XP
> partition and read it.  At this point I would have run CHKDSK to let
> it see if there were file system problems, but let's just assume it
> was OK....
>   At this point, BEFORE DESTROYING the working WinXP setup, you
> should have modified your /boot/grub/menu.lst to give you the option
> of booting the new WinXP partition.  You needed to see if the new one
> worked before wiping the original.

I did. This is when it recognized both C: and D:, but didn't think to
CHKDSK.

>   MS writes its OSes to only boot off of a C: drive.  That means the
> WinXP partition has to be on the "first" drive.  The machine I'm
> writing this email on has, at times, had WinXP on the second drive; to
> accomplish this trick you need to lie to the BIOS using the 'map'
> feature of GRUB.  If you only have 2 IDE hard drives, you'd do it
> something like this:
>
> 	map	(hd0) (hd1)
> 	map	(hd1) (hd0)
>
> This trick the BIOS (and WinXP) into thinking its on drive C:.
>
>   You're probably in trouble, so I don't want you to get your hopes
> up.  But, if you alter your 'menu.lst' to point to the new WinXP
> partition, and if you add some 'map' lines, and if the stars are
> aligned properly and hell has sufficiently frozen over, then you might
> get lucky here.

<snip>

> Dave W.

The stars are all in line, and hell is icy! Your suggestion worked!

Here's the story, in more detail, for the archives. I rewrote the
relevant stanza of /boot/grub/menu.lst to read

# This entry automatically added by the Debian installer for a non-linux OS
# on /dev/hdb1, "map" lines added by hand.
title           Windows XP
map             (hd0) (hd1)
map             (hd1) (hd0)
root            (hd1,0)
savedefault
chainloader     +1

I then rebooted into Windows XP. It went _directly_ to "Windows XP
Professional Setup," without asking permission (of course), deleted a
slew of files and copied a bunch more to hard disk. While this was
going on, I was thinking, Let it do what it wants, since it's really
on hdb, thinking its on C:. When it was done, it rebooted into grub!
And my sid installation is still there! Hurrah! So I booted back into
Windows, and this time was in the regular Windows XP Pro Setup, which
claimed "Installing Windows" supposedly "to complete in 39 minutes."
It took less than 15. Rebooted again, and found I had choices: back to
the installer, or two identical lines reading "Microsoft Windows XP
Professional."  The first one produces a brand new installation of XP,
complete with request to register it with Micro$oft. But the second
line provides my whole old installation, even IBM Client Security!
Half an hour of checking suggests everything still works.

Whew!

Is this a great list, or what?! And particularly, thanks Dave!

--
JohnRChamplin@columbus.rr.com
PGP key 1024D/99421A63 2005-01-05