LVM - dead disk

OK.

The system has the following

/dev/hda1 swap
/dev/hda2 root
/dev/hda3 lvm2 area

/dev/hdb1 lvm2 area

/dev/hdc1 lvm2 area

Vol group vg0 consisted of hda3, hdb1 and hdc1 (the plusses and minuses of this idea I'm well aware of - at the time it seemed appropriate for what I was trying to get working).

Now - hdc burnt out (real smoke, smell of burning plastic, nasty clicking noises afterwards if you power it).

So - on boot - lvm can't find vg0.

I've inspected the metadata - and it confirms what I thought

The pv's on hdc1 were a single data storage partition - no /usr, no / var etc etc.

So - the usr, var, home etc partitions are fine.

Now - not being an lvm whizz - I tried editing the metadata removing the pv and lv involved.

But - at boot lvm still says that it can't find the dead disk.

Is there any way to tell lvm2 that the disk is gone? That the metadata file is the correct version?

It would be really nice to get the /home partition (at least the changes since the last amanda run) off the disk before I reinstall from scratch :)

Any hints appreciated :)

Chris Searle